Thursday, May 2, 2013
The volunteer firefighter who was was critically injured during the April 24 fire in Reisterstown died Thursday at Maryland Shock Trauma. His funeral is set for Sunday.
It was a horrific fire April 24 that the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire Company was called to control. Volunteer firefighter Gene Kirchner, 25, and several others were searching the home at 19 Hanover Rd., trying to find a resident because "very, very agitated residents were screaming that someone was trapped," Baltimore County Fire Chief John Hohman said during a press conference Thursday afternoon. "Gene and others, they attempted to rescue the individual," Hohman said, calling the fire "horrific." Kirchner, a nine-year veteran of the company, died on Thursday at Maryland Shock Trauma after spending eight days in critical condition. "Gene himself ended up being rescued from the second floor by his co-volunteers here at Reisterstown and two …
The 25-year-old is the second fatality from a house fire April 24 at 19 Hanover Road in Reisterstown.
UPDATE (2:30 p.m.)--Volunteer Firefighter Gene Kirchner died Thursday afternoon at Maryland Shock Trauma, according to the Baltimore County Fire Department. The member of the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire company was critically injured April 24 while doing a search during a house fire at 19 Hanover Rd in Reisterstown. "It is with deep sorrow and regret that the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire Company announces the line of duty passing of Firefighter Gene Kirchner," according to a statement from the fire company. "Gene succumbed to his injures after an 8-day fight." Gene was a 9-year member of the fire company, and was a junior firefighter for 2 years, it states. "A full fire department funeral will be scheduled." A 58-year-old resident died …
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Baltimore County firefighters were dispatched to Carroll Island Road Tuesday morning.
Firefighters were working to bring a brush fire under control in Bowleys Quarters Tuesday morning, according to Baltimore County Public Safety. The blaze on the 1000 block of Carroll Island Road was reported after 9 a.m. and firefighters were still working the scene as of 10 a.m. Tuesday. There was an increased risk of brush fires Tuesday in Baltimore County, according to the National Weather Service. This article was updated.
Monday, January 28, 2013
Check out the top stories from this weekend.
Minister, Civil Rights Leader Dies Vernon Dobson, a minister and leader of the civil rights movement in Baltimore, died of a stroke, on Saturday. He also served in the Navy during World War II, according to The Baltimore Sun. Baltimore's VA Office Worst in Nation The Baltimore office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs takes a year on average to process claims from service members, and make more mistakes then any other office in the nation, according to The Baltimore Sun. Police Identify Man Shot at Lutherville Light Rail Stop Patch reports Harold J. Blandon, Jr., 35, was identified as the man shot and severly wounded at the Lutherville light rail station. Three Alarm Fire Damages Rosedale Shopping Center A fire broke out in the …
Saturday, January 26, 2013
Philadelphia Road was closed so firefighters could battle the blaze.
(UPDATE) 3:10 p.m.— A three alarm blaze that apparently started in the Jacky Chen carry out damaged five other stores in the Rosedale Village shopping center. Baltimore County firefighters responded to a call for a fire at 12:42 p.m. Saturday at 8426 Philadelphia Road and called for additional help, according to a news release. While battling the blaze, it spread to five additional stores. Firefighters are still at the scene and investigating what started the fire. There were no reported injuries, according to a news release. Follow Patch for updates.
Monday, May 21, 2012
No injuries were reported following the Monday morning blaze in the 400 block of Kosoak Road.
There were no reports of injuries following a Monday morning fire at a Bowleys Quarters home, authorities said. The fire began around 9 a.m. in the basement of a middle-of-group row home in the 400 block of Kosoak Road, said Baltimore County police spokeswoman Louise Rogers-Feher. Rogers-Feher added that at 9:16 a.m. firefighters on the scene reported ammunition going off, but could not offer any further specifics as to the source. Firefighters reported that they had the fire under control by 9:24 a.m. The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Stick with Patch for updates.
Monday, October 3, 2011
There was a fire Friday at the RG Steel plant at Sparrows Point.
No one was injured following a fire Friday at the RG Steel plant at Sparrows Point. However, firefighters called to the plant's tin mill had to overcome nonfunctioning hydrants, according to a Baltimore Brew story Monday. Elise Armacost, the county's chief public safety information officer, is quoted in the story confirming an earlier Brew report Monday about the lack of functioning fire hydrants at the tin mill. The Brew story also includes an anonymously-sent photo of the blaze. The call for the fire came at 12:04 p.m. and fire crews arrived on the scene and discovered smoke and fire. Armacost told Patch that crews fought the fire from the inside with multiple handlines. Armacost said the fire was under control as of 1:50 p.m. and that …
Friday, September 30, 2011
A call about the blaze came shortly after noon, fire department officials said.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Ron Snyder
Friday, September 30, 2011
UPDATE (2:40 p.m.)—No one was injured following a fire Friday at the Sparrows Point tin mill. Baltimore County Fire Department spokesman Elise Armacost said the fire was under control as of 1:50 p.m. and that a worker who had been trapped in a crane managed to get down on his own The cause remains under investigation, Armacost said. Armacost said the call for the fire came at 12:04 p.m. Fire crews arrived on the scene and discovered smoke and fire. She added that crews fought the fire from the inside with multiple handlines. Stay with Patch for more updates.
Thursday, August 18, 2011
A three-alarm fire broke out in a former brewery building Thursday afternoon in Canton. National Bohemian beer had once been brewed in the now-vacant building in the 1200 block of South Conkling Street.
Capt. Roman Clark, a spokesman for the Baltimore City Fire Department, told the Baltimore Sun that the Thursday afternoon fire at the former National Bohemian brewery in Canton appeared to be in the building's cork walls. Firefighters were initially evacuated from the building due to unsafe conditions, including interior walls collapsing and heavy smoke, Clark told the Sun. The building is in the 1200 block of Conkling Street. Two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion, the Sun reported. The fire's cause is under investigation. Follow Dundalk Patch for local stories, events and breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
A blaze in the lobby of the former military hospital is under investigation.
Follow Dundalk Patch on Facebook and Twitter for breaking news, the latest updates and local stories. Baltimore County firefighters were called Monday morning to a fire at a vacant building at the former Veterans Affairs hospital at Fort Howard. The one-alarm blaze, in the lobby of an empty six-story building, was dispatched at 7:21 a.m., and was under control by 7:42 a.m., said Baltimore County Fire Department spokeswoman Lynn W. Mullahey. The former Fort Howard Hospital is located at 9600 North Point Road. It is currently home to a VA outpatient clinic, which was not affected by the fire and remains open Monday. Firefighters from Baltimore County station No. 9 Edgemere, No. 57 in Sparrows Point, No. 6 in Dundalk and No. 15 in Eastview, …