In conjunction with its 40th Anniversary, Cockpit in Court Summer Theatre presents “Steel Magnolias,” one of the most heart-wrenching plays of contemporary American theatre. Playwright Robert Harling’s depiction of six women in crises presents an intimate and moving portrait of the friendships that women sustain and the friendships that sustain them.
Performances will be held 8 p.m. June 22-23, 29-30 and 3 p.m. June 24 and July 1 in the Cabaret Theatre on the second floor of the B Building at CCBC Essex, 7201 Rossville Boulevard. Tickets for the play are $16 for adults and $14 for seniors and are available through the CCBC Box Office at 443-840-2787 (ARTS).
The play was the basis for the 1989 hit comedy featuring Sally Field, Shirley MacLaine, Olympia Dukakis, Dolly Parton, Daryl Hannah and Julia Roberts.
Cockpit in Court’s production of “Steel Magnolias” features:
- Joan Crooks of Westminster, Md. in the lead role as M’Lynn (the mother).
- Janise Whelan of Baltimore as Truvy, the beautician and owner of Truvy’s Beauty Parlor.
- Carol Evans of Owings Mills, Md. as Ouiser, M’Lynn’s eccentric next door neighbor.
- Laura Weiss of Towson, Md. as Annelle, the new hire at Truvy’s Beauty Parlor.
- Harriette Bush Clark of Baltimore, Md., plays Clairee, the wealthy widow.
- Holly Gibbs of Baltimore, Md. plays Shelby, M’Lynn’s daughter.
- Joey Hellman directs this production.
Cockpit in Court Summer Theatre is in residence at CCBC Essex.